Potato bread curry | aloo side dish is with detailed recipe. Potato is known as आलू in hindi language and உருளைக்கிழங்கு in tamil language. Curry means vegetable mixture.
Potato bread curry | aloo side dish is a simple, easy, tasty and delicious side dish prepared with potato, bread and spices. It is an excellent side dish for plain rice, variety rice, chapathi (chapati), roti , etc,. This is a mouth watering indian style potato curry.
The combination of bread, potato and freshly ground spices gives an unique aroma to this aloo ki sabzi. You may like our potato fry , aloo sabzi without onion. In this potato dry curry, the potatoes are separately cooked in pressure cooker and later sauteed with spices & roasted bread slices. Potatoes can also be steam cooked instead of pressure cooking. Enjoy this potato curry at home.
Free subscription for more delicious video recipes, SUBSCRIBE
Free subscription form to receive our recipes as email in your inbox: FILL FORM
Our free Android app to receive our recipes in your mobile: DOWNLOAD
Potato bread curry | aloo side dish recipe
Cooking time: less than 25 minutes
1 tbsp = 15 ml
1 tsp = 5 ml
- Potato / आलू / உருளைக்கிழங்கு (medium size) – 5
- Onions / प्याज / வெங்காயம் (big size) – 2 (Chopped)
- Pepper powder / काली मिर्च पाउडर / மிளகு தூள் – 1/8 tsp
- Red chilli powder / लाल मिर्च पाउडर / சிவப்பு மிளகாய் தூள் – ¼ tsp
- Garam masala powder / गरम मसाला पाउडर / கரம் மசாலா பொடி – 1/8 tsp
- Dry chillies / लाल मिर्च / சிவப்பு மிளகாய் – (5-6)
- Chana dal / चना दाल / கடலை பருப்பு – 1 ½ tsp
- Toor dal / pigeon peas / अरहर की दाल / துவரம் பருப்பு – 1 ½ tsp
- Hing powder / asafoetida / / हिंग / பெருங்காயம் – ¼ tsp
- Urad dal / उड़द की दाल / உளுத்தம் பருப்பு – 1 ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder / हल्दी पाउडर / மஞ்சள் தூள் – ¼ tsp
- Bread slices / रोटी / ரொட்டி – 4
- Cooking oil / vegetable oil / खाना पकाने का तेल / சமையல் எண்ணெய் – 1 tbsp + 1 tbsp + 2 tbsp + 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds / सरसों के बीज / கடுகு – ¾ tsp
- Curry leaves / करी पत्ते / கறிவேப்பிலை – very little
- Cook the peeled potatoes with turmeric powder, salt (required) and water (¾ cup (1 cup = 300 ml)) for 5-6 whistles in a pressure cooker at high flame (I have used 5 litre pressure cooker).
- If there is any water remaining in the pressure cooker after cooking the potatoes, kindly drain it. Chop the cooked potatoes.
- Cut the bread slices into squared pieces.
- Roast the dry chilli, chana dal, urad dal, toor dal and hing (asafoetida) powder with the cooking oil (1 tbsp) until dal turns slightly golden (for 4-5 minutes in a kadai at medium flame).
- Grind the roasted mixture to a smooth powder with required salt. Ground powder is ready to use.
- Roast the mustard seeds with the cooking oil (1 tbsp) until it crackles in a kadai at medium flame.
- Add the chopped onions to it. Sauté until the onions becomes pink and transparent.
- Then, add the squared bread pieces, pepper powder, salt (required) and cooking oil (2 tbsp) to it and sauté until the bread pieces gets roasted well (it took 7-8 minutes to roast in a non-stick Kadai).
- Add the chopped cooked potatoes, prepared ground powder and cooking oil (1 tbsp) to it. Mix and saute well.
- Then, add the red chilli powder and garam masala to it. Mix it well.
- Cook covered for 2-3 minutes. Turn off the flame.
- Garnish with chopped curry leaves.
If you like this recipe, please give your voting below and share this recipe with your friends and family. Happy cooking !!!