Yennai Kathirikkai (Eggplant (Brinjal) Gravy) is a traditional and a mouthwatering South Indian Gravy prepared with Eggplants, Onion, Tomatoes, Curry leaves, Coconut, Curd, Tamarind, Ginger and Spices. This lip smacking dish is an apt Side dish for Plain Rice, Phulka, Chapati and Roti.
Eggplants are rich in fiber, Vitamin C, Potassium and Vitamin B6. It is a powerful antioxidant which prevents the Brain cell membrane from radical damage. Consuming Eggplants daily helps in reduction of Weight and LDL cholesterol level. As it contains anthocyanin, it protects from Heart disease.
Cooking time: 30-40 minutes
1 spoon = 10 ml
1 tsp = 5 ml
1 coffee spoon = 2.5 ml
- Egg plants (Brinjals) – (6 -8) numbers
- Medium sized Tomato – 1 (finely chopped)
- Big Sized Onion – 1 (finely chopped)
- Curry leaves – 1 spoon (finely chopped)
- Pepper powder –¼ tsp
- Turmeric powder – ¾ tsp
- Grated Coconut – 1 spoon
- Curd – 3 spoon
- Tamarind – a big button size
- Cumin powder – ½ tsp
- Fennel seeds – ¾ tsp
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Urad dal – ¼ tsp
- Sesame seeds – 1 coffee spoon
- Chana dal – ¼ spoon
- Coriander seeds –¾ tsp
- Cashew nuts- 8
- Ghee – ¾ spoon
- Cooking Oil – 3 spoon and 1 tsp
- Garlic cloves – 8 (finely chopped)
- Ginger – slightly less than an inch (finely chopped)
- Whole Pepper – ¼ tsp
- Red Chilli powder – ¾ tsp
- Jaggery – 1 coffee spoon
- Salt – required
- Soak the Tamarind in the Warm Water (50 ml). Tamarind Water is ready.
- Remove the stem from each Brinjals. Make several slits (each slits should be of an inch size) at both the ends of Brinjals (Slits at one end should be in 90 degrees to the slits at the other end).
- Roast the Mustard seeds until it crackles in a Kadai at low flame. Add the Urad dal, Chana dal, Coriander seeds, Fennel seeds, Sesame seed, Cashew nuts, Grated Coconut, finely chopped Onions, Garlic cloves and Ginger to it. Roast the mixture for 3 minutes, in a Kadai at medium flame. Cool the mixture and grind it to a smooth paste with little water.
- Grind the chopped Tomatoes with the little Water to a smooth paste. Tomato paste is ready.
- Roast the Whole Pepper with the Cooking Oil (1 tsp) for 2 minutes, in a Kadai at low flame.
- Add the prepared ground paste to it. Sauté it for 2 minutes.
- Add the Red Chilli powder (½ tsp), Cumin powder, Turmeric powder (¼-½) tsp and Pepper powder. Mix it well and close it with a lid for 2 minutes at low flame.
- Add required salt to it. Mix it well.
- Add the prepared Tomato paste to it and cook it for 2 minutes at medium flame. Gravy is ready.
- Roast the slit Brinjals with the Cooking Oil (3 spoon) and the Curry leaves for 2 minutes, in another Kadai at medium flame.
- Add the Turmeric powder (¼ tsp), Red Chilli powder (¼ tsp) and required Salt to the roasted slit Brinjals.
- Close it with a lid until the Brinjals turn slightly golden brown.
- Add the prepared Gravy to it and mix it well. Add the prepared Tamarind Water and Curd to it. Sauté for a minute. Close it with a lid for 8 minutes in a low- medium flame.
- Add the Jaggery to it and mix it well. Switch off the flame.
Please don’t forget to click the “Subscribe/Follow” button and enter your Email address to receive the updates/new recipes in your mail inbox directly. If you like this recipe, do share it in your favourite Social media.