Kumbakonam Kadappa is a famous scrumptious Vegetable Stew in Kumbakonam, Tanjore and other Southern parts of Tamil Nadu. It is a delicious Traditional food and it is served as a Side dish for Soft Idli, Dosa, Poori and Idiyappam. It is a simple Gravy which tastes like Kurma. This flavourful Stew is made with cooked Moong dal, Potatoes, Green peas, Carrots, grated Coconut and Spices. It has a mild taste.
Cooking time: 15-20 minutes
Serves: 4 – 5
1 cup = 400 ml
1 spoon = 10 ml
1 tsp = 5 ml
1 coffee spoon = 2.5 ml
- Moong dhal – ¼ cup
- Carrot- 2 (finely chopped)
- Big sized Potato – 2 ( finely chopped)
- Peeled Green peas – less than ¼ cup
- Salt – required
- Cinnamon – 2 sticks
- Garlic Cloves – 4
- Green chillies – 8 (chopped lengthwise)
- Medium sized Tomato – 2 (finely chopped)
- Medium sized half cut Lemon – 1
- Fennel seeds (Saunf) – 1 tsp
- Poppy seeds – 1 tsp
- Cashew nuts -6
- Grated Coconut – 3 tsp
- Cooking Oil – 1 spoon
- Chopped Coriander leaves – 1 spoon (optional)
- Cook the Moong dal, finely chopped Carrots, Potatoes and peeled Green peas with the required Water and required Salt in a Pressure Cooker for 4 – 5 whistles (I have cooked it in stainless steel 5 litre pressure pan for 5 whistles). Moong dal mixture is ready.
- Grind the Fennel seeds (¾ tsp), Poppy seeds, Cashew nuts, Green chillies (5 numbers) and grated Coconut with little Water (30-40) ml to a smooth paste. Ground paste is ready.
- Roast the Cinnamon sticks, Fennel seeds (¼ tsp), Garlic Cloves, Green chillies (3 numbers) with the Cooking Oil for a minute, in a Kadai at low flame. Add the chopped Tomatoes to it and roast until it becomes juicy at medium flame.
- Add very little Water to it and stir for a minute.
- Add the prepared Moong dal mixture, required Salt and ground paste to it. Boil it for ( 2 -3) minutes at low-medium flame. Switch off the flame. Cool the mixture for 2 minutes.
- Squeeze the Lemon over it and mix it well. Garnish with Chopped Coriander leaves (optional).
Please don’t forget to click the “Subscribe/Follow” button and give your Email address to receive the updates/new recipes in your inbox directly. If you like this recipe, do share it in your favourite Social media.